Getting hitched in Las Vegas is becoming an ever-more popular choice among couples today. As movie-like as it may seem, it is actually a viable option for many and guarantees an unforgettable wedding! Here are some pointers to get you started.
Welcome to fabulous Las Vegas !
Wedding possibilities in Las Vegas are limitless. For the more adventurous among you, you could have a Grand Canyon wedding, aboard a helicopter or in a limousine. You could also get married in the street, in front of the famous “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign, or in one of the city’s many wedding chapels. Who knows, Elvis Presley or Marilyn Monroe might even drop by to say a few words!
It is also possible to renew your vows in Las Vegas if you’re already married.
Practically, there are two ways to look at getting married in Las Vegas. One is to have a wedding there as a symbolic gesture; as a way of creating great memories. This is a perfect option if you’re not worried about the legal standing of your marriage once you return to France. However, if you do want your marriage to be validated by the French state, you need to respect certain procedures.
Getting French acknowledgement of your marriage
While the procedure you must follow to have your marriage recognised by the French state isn’t necessarily complicated, you must be organised in getting the following documentation:
- Banns from the French Consulate in Los Angeles (state of Nevada). To get this document, you must provide a file containing a completed request form for Banns accompanied by a letter written by you, the couple, requesting the procedure. You also need a photocopy of your identity cards, birth certificates, and proof of residence. These all need to be sent around two and a half months before you want to get married!
- A marriage licence. Once your file has been processed, you need to go to the Clark County Marriage License Bureau to buy your marriage licence, which costs $60. This can be done up until the morning of your wedding, but don’t leave it too late!
- Your marriage certificate. This is given to the couple after the ceremony.
Once you have all of these documents, you can begin the acknowledgement procedure in France by:
- Registering your marriage with the Clark County administrative authorities. This will allow you to obtain the original copy of your American marriage certificate at a cost of $10. Then you will get it “apostilated”, that is to say stamped with an official seal by the Secretary of State.
- Send your file to the French Consulate in Los Angeles. Once that has been done, you only need to wait a few months before you’ll receive your Family Register and Marriage Certificate to your French address.
This may all seem difficult, but your wedding planner is here to help! Getting married in Las Vegas is very manageable and a great option for many couples. So whether you’re in it for the fun or want to be officially married in Las Vegas, we can help make your dreams a reality!